Thursday, March 21, 2019

Why Meal Prep....



Here we GO guys!! Let's get started!
So what is "meal planning" anyways? To kick things off, I just want to share what "meal planning" means to me!
Simply put, meal planning is the MENU you make before you grocery shop! Most people only meal plan for a week at a time... sitting down once a week to plan the next week's menu. Some people may plan a month in advance, freezing neatly-labeled packets of soup and stew. Meal planning is a really personal thing. What works for you may not work for me.
The goal, I think, is to find a process that is both enjoyable and effective. SO, as much as I can give you tips and pointers of what works for ME – Please don't get caught up in one specific "RIGHT WAY" to plan your meals; as you learn and evolve you will find what is most effective for you and the mouths you have to feed. 


Why do we all get on board with this meal planning nonsense? Is it a fad? I don't think so! I've been at it for over two years now and it is a staple part of my week - EVERY week. The benefits truly are endless and taking an hour or two out of your weekend to plan and prep takes the guess work out of eating healthy.
When it's Wednesday and 5 pm and you're EXHAUSTED - guess what? Your dinner is already planned and prepped. And it's good for you! No more pizza bloat mid week because you're too tired to "figure out what's for dinner." Trust me - I am the WORST when it comes to the mid week woes and lack of motivation.
This is why planning is so important to my fitness success!
One of the BIGGEST benefits of meal planning - it saves buckets of money! The biggest complaint about healthy eating I hear - "clean eating is too expensive." DUH, friends, so is eating out multiple times a week! Do you have kids? A trip to McDonald's costs over $25 for my family. I can make a health filled dinner at home for MUCH cheaper than that. It's truly a no brainer. Once you get into a routine and have your staples in your pantry, you'll be surprised at how much you can save by eating at home. The best way to do that is when you go to the grocery store, have a list and STICK TO IT!
Also, meal planning helps us to eat healthy! That's kinda the point, ya?? It removes the daily stress of 'what's for dinner'?? Seriously nothing feels better than having it all planned, prepped, and ready to go!
Additionally, we all have fun trying new recipes, right? I try at least one new recipe per week - if my family enjoys it, I add it to my recipe book and it's a keeper! Adding variety to our routine keeps things interesting and exciting for us!
--> What's your main takeaway for today? What are you most excited about?
Sharing meal plan tips can be overwhelming! Learning about meal plan tips can be equally overwhelming! I will share my TOP tips and please do feel free to share in the comments anything I may have left out! Because we all have our own way of doing things - your way may help someone else! Here are some tips
about meal planning, and help on how to execute it successfully!
#1 :: Schedule a consistent time for meal planning. This can be anytime that works best for each individual. Try to keep it similar each week - routine is easier to keep that way! For me personally, I grocery shop on Saturdays so I plan my menu for the following week each Friday. No. Matter. What. I never go to the store without a list. I plan for one week in advance. Two weeks can be very overwhelming, especially for beginners. If you eat a lot of fresh produce, it will likely not keep for two weeks.
#2 :: Look at your planner! What's next week look like? What activities are scheduled for your kiddos? If you have soccer practice on Thursday, maybe plan a simple crock pot meal for dinner so it's quick and easy! Being busy does not mean you have to eat out.
#3 :: Inventory your kitchen. THIS IS NUMBER ONE FOR ME. It saves money and keeps me from purchasing unnecessary groceries that will spoil and go to waste. Nothing irks me more than throwing away perfectly good food because we didn't eat it fast enough. The main things you can inventory - protein sources, veggies, and your pantry. Plan your meals around what you already have at home to keep your grocery bill low as possible.
#4 :: Check out the sales (and coupons)!! I love looking through the weekly ad or circulars from my favorite grocery stores. Most even have apps now to digitally "clip" coupons. Nothing like saving money, right?! Do you see fresh organic tomatoes and your favorite pasta on a flash sale? It might be a good idea to pencil in a healthy spaghetti night the following week. But for real, wherever I can find the cheapest avocados, organic berries, bulk staples or frozen veggies, that's where I'll head!
#5 :: Keep side dishes simple. There's no need to do double the cooking. Brown rice, quinoa, veggies, healthy pasta salad - all make great healthy sides that take minimal effort.
#6 :: Choose your meals. Add in your tried and true recipes, maybe a few new ones, don't overcomplicate things and plan for leftovers! Once my menu is planned, it goes on the fridge. Right after this, compile a grocery list based off your recipes and menu. View the recipes and check what you already have at home. (This will likely include spices and pantry staples - leave them off your list to save money!) Stick to your list once at the store!
--I hope this helps! What is your main takeaway? Which tip will be most helpful for you?






No comments:

Post a Comment

What is New......

This month, I’m launching an exclusive group for this new nutrition program and I’m super excited for it! You can learn all about it here...